Often referred to as a cap, a dental crown can be used to treat an extensive area of decay, support a weak tooth, renew a cracked tooth, or mask a stained tooth. Made to fit over the appropriate tooth and colored to blend with the adjacent teeth to provide a natural look, a dental crown protects and reinstates functionality to weakened teeth. The dental professionals of Gulf Breeze Dental Care utilize various methods for crowns to best treat the concerns of individuals in League City, TX.
Throughout your initial appointment with a highly trained staff member of the Gulf Breeze Dental Care dental team, we will explain the different crown options with you to allow you to pick the best material that addresses your dental concerns, aesthetic objectives, and budget. If you desire to learn more about the types of crowns and how they can strengthen your teeth, then continue below for more in-depth information.
THE BEST CANDIDATES FOR A DENTAL CROWN:
A dentist can recommend a dental crown as a solution for various reasons, such as:
- To act as an anchor to help keep dental bridges secure
- Utilized cosmetically to disguise discolored or misshapen teeth
- To allow for the protection of a weak, decaying tooth to lessen further dental problems
- To create a support system for loose or damaged teeth
- In order to recover a tooth’s functionality and look following a root canal procedure
- As a way to cover a fractured tooth, defending it from revealed nerves that could cause extreme sensitivity and pain
- If an area of decay is too extensive to be restored with a regular filling
KINDS OF DENTAL CROWNS
Based on an individual's goals, tooth location, and desires, crowns are created from a variety of materials. Whereas some crowns may last for around 15 years, some are only a momentary solution.
- Porcelain over Metal: This crown is ideal for protecting forward or back teeth and increases the security of metal to a bridge. The porcelain material allows the dental professional to custom match the existing enamel of neighboring teeth for a natural look.
- Metal: A metal crown is most often created with stainless steel or various other metals, which are personalized for the patient's required needs.
- Ceramic or Porcelain: Thought of as the optimal aesthetic pick, this dental crown features a color-match unparalleled by any other material. Ceramic or porcelain crowns are typically used on the front teeth and modeled after the shape, shade, and size of the patient’s natural teeth. This substance is also the best for those who havewho suffer from] metal allergies.
- Temporary: A temporary crown is built from acrylic or stainless steel and is typically created in the dental professional's facility for faster protectioncompared to a long-lasting crown, which is made off-site.
HOW IT WORKS
The initial action for men and women in League City, TX to receive a dental crown is to talk with a dental professional at Gulf Breeze Dental Care during an appointment. During this time, digital or physical impressions of your teeth will be captured, which ensures the custom fit of your restoration. When your crown is complete, the treatment area will be thoroughly numbed with a local anesthetic so the current tooth may be prepared to assure the crown’s fit. Additional impressions may be necessary to evaluate the proper fit and bite before it is cemented of the crown onto the current tooth or fixed to a dental implant. The correct configuration of a crown ensures long-term stability. The overall process may take a few weeks to finish since crowns are sent to a lab for creation. When necessary, a temporary crown could be suggested.
When the local anesthesia has subsided, routine daily tasks may be continued. The dental team at Gulf Breeze Dental Care can give proper after-care instructions, which are necessary to follow for an optimal recovery and restoration. We will show you the best method to care for your crown, including which foods to stay away from. For individuals who grind their teeth or clench their jaws, a nighttime guard can be recommended to maintain your crown. It is best to attend your yearly dental exams at Gulf Breeze Dental Care to ensure good oral health. Routine daily brushing and flossing can help to protect against decay or periodontal disease and the requirement for future crowns later on.
Devoted to your excellent oral health, Gulf Breeze Dental Care performs treatments for men and women in League City, TX using the most up-to-date dental procedures, such as dental crowns. Patients who require a crown can rest assured knowing they have choices that fit their aesthetic concerns and budget. If you have been considering a dental crown and want to hear more about this advanced procedure, we invite you to call or set up a consultation with Gulf Breeze Dental Care today.